Investment banking is a highly competitive industry where skills and knowledge can play a major role in one’s success. If you want to learn about investment banking or want to gain further knowledge on top of what you already know, consider investing in yourself by taking one of the best investment banking courses we’ll recommend below.
Investment banking isn’t for everyone and can seem challenging at times, but have no fear. By taking one of our recommended courses, you can explore more about investment banking and what it entails to determine if this is the right path for you.
Quicklook: Best Investment Banking Courses
- Udemy: The Complete Investment Banking Course 2021 – Best for a Complete Overview of Investment Banking
- Corporate Finance Institution: Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst – Best Customizable Option
- Udemy: Investment Banking: The Complete Financial Ratio Analysis – Best for Beginners
- Coursera: Advanced Valuation and Strategy – M&A, Private Equity and Venture Capital – Best for Advanced Students
- New York Institute of Finance: Investment Banking Certification – Best for Getting Certification
Table of Contents:
- Best Investment Banking Courses
- Udemy: The Complete Investment Banking Course 2021
- Corporate Finance Institution: Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst
- Udemy: Investment Banking: The Complete Financial Ratio Analysis
- Coursera: Advanced Valuation and Strategy – M&A, Private Equity, and Venture Capital
- New York Institution of Finance: Investment Banking Certification
- How To Get Into Investment Banking
- What Makes a Good Investment Banking Course?
- The Future is in Your Hands
5 Best Investment Banking Courses
To start, here are our top 5 recommendations for investment banking courses.
Udemy: The Complete Investment Banking Course 2021
This course, offered by Udemy, is one of their bestselling courses with an overall 4.5 star rating (based on over 25,000 reviews). It is clear why this option is so popular as it covers a complete range of tools for an aspiring investment banker. They even help to prepare you for investment banking related job interviews.
Overall, this course is an excellent value for its low price and is a great option for both beginners and intermediate students.
- Prepare and cover what is to be expected at an investment banking job interview
- Certification of completion
- Offers extensive downloadable resources
- Very hands-on course with 12 course challenges, 22 quiz questions, real world examples, and case studies all incorporated into the curriculum
- Learn the valuation techniques of the top investment banks like DCF valuation, leverage buyout valuation, and a multiples valuation
- Provides aspiring investment bankers with a good foundation of basic financial terminology (a complete glossary of terminology and phrases)
- Some may find the course too demanding or are unable to fit it into their schedules
- Videos are pre recorded, meaning there is no interaction with the instructor while you are “in class”
Duration: This course is asynchronous and can be complete at your convenience.
- 9 hours of pre recorded videos
- 157 resources offered as downloads
- 6 readings / articles
CFI: Certified Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst
This course from the Corporate Finance Institution is an excellent option for those looking for something that resembles a more traditional school like experience. With 29 total courses offered when you purchase the course you will be required to take 14, consisting of 11 core courses and 3 free electives.
In addition they offer 7 optional introductory courses. At the end of completion, you will take a final exam and then receive certification if you score above a 70%.
- Instructors are industry experts and some of CFI’s graduates have gone on to work for top investment banks like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and Morgan Stanley
- Resembles more traditional methods of schooling
- Choose 3 out of 11 elective courses for a more personalized curriculum exploring specializations and more advanced topics
- 100% online learning
- Explore career options and get career advice from industry experts
- Offers a full immersions package with bonus materials like additional templates, feedback from professionals, and more
- This is one of the more expensive options on the list and may not be in everyone’s budget
- Requires access to a PC, Mac, or Microsoft Suite (2016 or newer) as well as stable wifi
- You can only access the course library for 2 years unlike other courses that offer completely downloadable resources
- Self-study package retails for $497
- The full immersion package goes for $847
- The average completion time for this course is 6 months
- The course however is self paced so it may take longer or shorter depending on your dedication to the class
- This course is completely online
- Pre recorded videos, quizzes, and exercises
Udemy: Investment Banking: The Complete Financial Ratio Analysis
This is another great course by Udemy for someone interested in investment banking. If you are looking to strengthen your analytical and mathematical skills in terms of investment banking, this is a great option to consider.
You will learn over 40 different financial ratios and the complete financial ratio analysis system that will provide you a foundational understanding.
- This course is offered in English, Italian, Polish, and Romanian
- There is a 100% guarantee that questions will be answered within 24 hours by the instructor
- There is a focus on fundamental analysis and value investing
- Lifetime access to all course materials and resources
- Certificate of completion
- Support from the instructor and learning community
- Doesn’t go in depth on every topic, this course is more of a stepping stone in your investment banking education rather than the end all be all
- More advanced students may not find this course challenging enough, we recommend this course for those with little background knowledge
- This course can be completed at you own pace
- 4.5 hours of videos
- 4 articles
- 15 downloadable resources
Coursera: Advanced Valuation and Strategy – M&A, Private Equity, and Venture Capital
This is a standout option for those with a background knowledge in investment banking or who maybe are already working in the industry and want to make better business decisions. Taught by professors from Erasmus University Rotterdam, based in the Netherlands, you will be learning from 5 different instructors which ensures you get the most out of taking this course.
This course focuses on making strategic investment decisions at an executive level and will surely be useful to those of all levels.
- Up to date strategies that can benefit businesses today
- A unique perspective on company valuation
- Teaches both theoretical and quantitative skills
- Provides a simplified and easy to understand method of teaching for challenging topics
- Many claim this course to be very insightful
- Students say the quizzes and tests are challenging which can be stressful but will be beneficial in the long run
- Some have claimed it is hard for them to clearly understand the instructors as they are native to the Netherlands, however subtitles are provided
Pricing: Enroll for free or pay a small fee to earn certification upon completion as well as additional quizzes
Duration: this course takes approximately 16 hours to complete
Delivery: 100% online
New York Institute of Finance: Investment Banking Certification
New York Institute of Finance offers professional certification for their courses that are great assets to your resume and will help you gain valuable knowledge.
This certification course was created at a graduate level and is an intensive program. It was designed to be taken from anywhere in the world and is an opportunity for everyone to train for a career in investment banking.
- Receive certification from a reputable and well respected institution from the comfort of your home
- Great for those who are interested in transitioning careers towards investment banking
- The course is broken down into two parts, the second part allows students to select a specialization track they are interested in
- This course is one of the more expensive options on this list, make sure this is something you can be dedicated to
- The course recommends having a basic understanding of financial concepts prior to enrolling
- Access to course content ends 1 year after enrollment
- 70 learning hours
- Can be completed in about 12 weeks
- Completely online and self paced
How To Get Into Investment Banking
As mentioned, investment banking is a highly competitive industry and may seem intimidating at times. Generally, to become an investment banker at one of the top investment banks, you’ll need a college degree along with lots of experience.
However as technology continues to improve rapidly, college is no longer the only way to learn about investment banking. Before committing to a full degree, start educating yourself through available resources like online articles, interviews with experts, YouTube videos, or one of our recommended courses!
Taking your education into your own hands is a promising way to ensure that this is something you are actually passionate about.
What Makes a Good Investment Banking Course?
There are a plethora of online courses available, but they aren’t all created equal! Take into consideration the following variables when choosing a course to ensure that you will be getting the most out of your studies.
Taught by Professionals
Most importantly, you want to make sure that the course you are enrolling in is taught by a professional or someone who has had successful experiences. The instructor will add value to the course by teaching you skills that aren’t traditionally found in a textbook.
Hopefully, the instructor will be able to pass on knowledge that they have gained through their working experience and can teach you how to avoid common pitfalls.
Provides You With the Skills Needed to be an Investment Banker
A good investment banking course will provide you with a solid foundation of financial terminology used in investment banking as well as some popular strategies. Hopefully if you don’t already have background knowledge in finance, the course you pick will provide you a promising starting point to grow.
Without knowing the basics and fundamentals of investment banking, there is no way of expanding your knowledge. Start simple and build your way up, you will want to make sure you have a solid understanding of investment banking terms and fundamentals to provide you with a platform to expand your knowledge on.
Works With Your Lifestyle
With ever improving technology around the world, education is becoming more easily accessible than ever. Take advantage of this and find a course that will suit your lifestyle.
Courses offered range from pre recorded videos with lifetime access, all the way to synchronous live class sessions. Surely, you will be able to find a course that best fits into your lifestyle and with your learning style.
The Future is in Your Hands
Investment banking can be challenging to learn but is very rewarding in the end. Whether you are considering transitioning careers or are still considering your options, taking an online course is the perfect way to start that journey.
Online courses are becoming more and more accredited and the opportunities are becoming endless. Jumpstart your investment banking career today by enrolling in one of the best investment banking courses we recommend!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, investment banking entails having a plethora of knowledge that some may find hard to understand. There are several methods of analysis and different techniques that one will have to navigate.
Traditionally, entry level investment banking positions will require one to have at least a bachelor’s degree.
Yes you can definitely get rich from investment banking with entry level positions having a base salary of $85k-$100k on average.
Investment Firms is a ready supported website. Our content is free to consume and most of the time we do not earn revenue from publishing articles. In some instances, clicking on links in articles may earn us a commission if you are to purchase something.