Crypto credit cards are a great way to utilize your already existing cryptocurrency and gain rewards. How these credit cards work is they turn your cryptocurrency into fiat currency (which could be dollars, euros, etc). This allows investors to more actively use their cryptocurrency. In this article we will discuss our top recommendations of crypto credit cards.
Quicklook: Best Crypto Credit Cards
- Crypto.com: Best Option Overall
- Wirex: Best for Those Without Credit
- Gemini: Best for Real World Rewards
- CoinBase: Best for International Users
- BlockFi: Best for Bitcoin Rewards
Table of Contents:
- Best Crypto Credit Card Options
- What Is a Crypto Credit Card & How Does it Work?
- What to Consider With Crypto Credit Cards
- Is It Worth Getting a Crypto Card?
- Frequently Asked Questions
5 Best Crypto Credit Card Options
We will be breaking down these crypto credit cards by annual fees, standout features, credit requirements, rewards, and much more. This guide will help you decipher which crypto credit card is the best option for you.
Crypto.com Visa Card
Crypto.com Visa Card is a great option for those who actively use and invest in cryptocurrency. This crypto credit card comes with a plethora of rewards and perks cardholders can use depending on their tier level.
The credit card has five tiers which depend on how much the investor is “staking.” In short, “staking” is essentially locking your funds onto a specific platform. Due to its benefits, and low to no fees, we gave this crypto credit card the best overall rating.
Annual Fees/Fee Structure: No annual or monthly fees but has an ATM allowance. If the user exceeds this allowance they will be charged 2% on ATM withdrawals.
Credit Requirement: No credit scores are required
Rewards: Dependent on CRO tier:
- Obsidian: 8% CRO rewards on card spending, monthly reimbursement to Amazon, Spotify, and Netflix, & ATM allowance of $1,000 per month
- Frosted Rose Gold & Icy White: 5% CRO rewards on card spending, monthly reimbursement to Amazon, Spotify, and Netflix, & ATM allowance of $1,000 per month
- Royal Indigo & Jade Green: 3% CRO rewards on card spending, monthly reimbursement from Spotify and Netflix, & ATM allowance of $800 per month
- Ruby Steel: 2% CRO rewards, monthly reimbursement for Spotify subscriptions, & ATM allowances of $500 per month
- Midnight Blue: 1% CRO rewards and an ATM allowance of $200
Account Minimums: Midnight Blue $0, Ruby Steel $400, Jade Green/Royal Indigo $4,000, Frosted Rose Gold/Icy White $40,000, and Obsidian $400,000
- Airport lounge access through Loungekey (Obsidian, Frosted Rose Gold, Icy White, Royal Jade, and Indigo)
- Crypto.com Private where they can have OTC block trades of CRO and access top industry events (Obsidian, Frosted Rose Gold, Icy White)
- Can be reimbursed from subscription sites such as Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Expedia, Aribnb
- No annual fee and no ATM fees due to their ATM allowance system
- Short processing and accessing fund times
- Extremely high staking requirements for some tiers of the credit card
- Staking has to be backed by USD
- $2,500 daily spending limit
Wirex Visa Card
This crypto credit card is a great opportunity for crypto investors to utilize their coins even if they do not have a credit score. It supports around 34 of the top cryptocurrencies and is fully functional in more than 40 countries. This card is connected to Wirex’s web wallet where you can send and receive your coins.
Annual Fees/Fee Structure: Buying/selling fee of 2.5%, and monthly fee of $1.50 + possible staking costs
Credit Requirement: None
Rewards: 1.5% cashback on in-store purchases and discounts on card fees
Account Minimums: None
- ATM allowance of 400 Euros per month
- Unlimited account balance and no credit score needed
- Earn up to 2% cashback in WRX
- 24/7 customer support
- Buy, sell, and store fiat currencies (such as GBP, EUR, and USD)
- Not available in the US
- Need to pay 29.99 Euros per month to unlock the highest cashback rates
- Payments not accepted in some places
Gemini is a great option for investors who wish to get rewards with extra cryptocurrency and real world perks. This cryptocurrency credit card runs on the Mastercard payment network and is available to all US residents.
Additionally, any rewards a user earns through the credit card will immediately be deposited into their Gemini account. Lastly, investors could opt into their Gemini Earn interest-bearing account where they can get up to 7.4% APY.
Annual Fees/Fee Structure: No annual fee, 12.99% – 23.99% variable APR
Credit Requirement: Good to Excellent rating
Rewards: 3% back on dining, 2% on groceries, 1% on all other purchases, and earn rewards in Bitcoin or any other crypto Gemini provides
Account Minimums: None
- Rewards on real world perks (dining, groceries, etc.)
- Able to get rewards on other cryptocurrencies
- Able to get instant access to your card through Apple Pay or Google Pay
- Can manage your credit card through app
- No welcome bonus
- Not transparent how the cashback rewards system works due to unclear fine print
CoinBase’s cryptocurrency credit card is a great option for those who wish to use this card internationally. Since it is linked to CoinBases trading platform, investors are able to access their more than 50 cryptocurrencies the site supports. Additionally, investors are able to get up to 4% back on their choice of cryptocurrencies. The CoinBase credit card is a great opportunity for those who are already familiar with or are an active user on CoinBase’s platform.
Annual Fees/Fee Structure: No annual fee, but there is a 2.49% fee to convert crypto to dollars
Credit Requirement: N/A
Rewards: Earn up to 4% back in XLM or 1% back on BTC
Account Minimums: Account minimum starting at $2
- Earn up to 4% back in XLM or 1% back on BTC
- Great option for those who are already avid users on Coinbase to link their account to it
- No annual fee or signup fees
- Little to no process time for spending crypto
- 24/7 customer support
- 2.49% transaction fee to convert crypto into dollars when making a purchase
- Does not have the same security level as other crypto credit cards
This was one of the first crypto credit cards created and is a good option for investors who are specifically looking to get Bitcoin rewards through a crypto credit card. BlockFi Rewards Visa Signature Card converts the cashback earned into Bitcoin which is added to your BlockFi account on a monthly basis.
Additionally, this crypto credit card comes with an opportunity to gain up to $100 through their Welcome Bonus. Due to its high cash back rate for Bitcoin, this rewards card gets the title of “Best for Bitcoin Rewards.”
Annual Fees/Fee Structure: No annual fee & no foreign transaction fee
Credit Requirement: Excellent or Good
Rewards: Earn 3.5% Bitcoin rewards in first 90 days of card ownership (up to $100 of Bitcoin), earn 1.5% on Bitcoin in rewards and after $50,000 spent this reward rate increases to 2% back
Account Minimums: None
- Earn 1.5% back in Bitcoin from any purchase made
- Earn up to $100 of Bitcoin in the first 90 days of card ownership
- Welcome bonus of up to $100
- High interest account benefits
- Earn 2% back in Bitcoin after $50,00 spent in a year
- Hard to qualify for the card due to high demand for it
- Is not eligible in all U.S. states
- Exposed to Bitcoin’s high volatility
What Is a Crypto Credit Card & How Does it Work?
Cryptocurrency credit cards are similar to traditional credit cards, however, instead they allow their users to spend various cryptocurrencies. The only difference is that they transform the cryptocurrencies into fiat currencies (such as USD or EUR) to finalize these purchases. Additionally, users can earn rewards and cashback towards other cryptocurrencies.
What to Consider With Crypto Cards
Before signing up for a crypto credit card there are a couple factors for one to consider. This includes the card’s security level, its credibility, fees, usability, and the card’s reward system.
Since cryptocurrency cards are usually linked to a crypto trading platform, security is important. Read into the fine print what security measures are taken to ensure that your information and cryptocurrency are safe.
Compare different cryptocurrency credit card’s security measures to see which one will be the best fit for you.
Reputation / Credibility
When applying for a crypto card, take a look to see what the general reputation of the card is. How have past users liked or disliked it? How is its customer support? What is the general credibility of the company providing this card?
Asking these questions will reveal whether the card is a right fit for you.
Crypto credit card fee structures sometimes can be complex and slightly misleading. It is important to make sure you have all the facts regarding penalty, withdrawal, annual, foriegn transaction or any other fees prior to applying for a crypto credit card.
Look for crypto credit cards that are completely transparent about their fee structure.
Rewards can be one of the main selling points of getting a crypto credit card. Many credit cards like this have cashback that can be specifically for a cryptocurrency of your choice.
Others may have features that are applicable to “real world” purchases such as dining and groceries. Most of these crypto credit cards give cardholders more rewards once they hit certain stacking requirements. Read to see what rewards the crypto credit card gives to see if it aligns best with your investment goals.
Depending on your residency’s location, it can affect whether you are eligible to apply to certain crypto credit cards. Additionally, some of these credit cards are better suited for certain countries than others.
Before applying to a crypto credit card, see if the location you are in allows you to be eligible. Lastly, see what stores will accept a crypto credit card so you can fully utilize this type of credit card’s benefits.
Is It Worth Getting a Crypto Card?
If you are an active investor in crypto, looking into a crypto credit card may be a great opportunity for you. Depending on your investment goals, residency, and cryptocurrencies held, may alter which crypto credit card would be best suited for you.
Talk to your financial advisor to see whether a crypto credit card aligns with your investment goals. If you do not have a financial advisor, read more here how to find one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Overall, Crypto.com Visa Card is a great option for active crypto investors. However, if an investor is strictly looking for cashback benefits for Bitcoin, BlockFi Rewards Visa Signature Card would be a great alternative.
Yes, there are various credit cards that are specifically made for those who have cryptocurrencies. Our top five recommendations for crypto credit cards include: Crypto.com, Wirex, Gemini, CoinBase, and BlockFi.
Yes, Crypto.com is trustworthy. For security measures it utilizes a two-step verification system, has FDIC-insured USD balances of up to $250,000, platform insurance against theft, and uses cold storage.